About Me

My photo
"JGallery" where I talk about my artwork and show my pre-painting sketches and drawings and crap like that

Friday, June 8, 2012

my first speed painting video



This is the painting style that we learned in intro painting. This is the typical "NSCAD" painting style. This style of paint application relies on the use of bigger brushes and blocking in with colours, I did some blocking in but normally you would start by blocking in with acrylic paint with a set of tones to work off of, but for this since I used a recycled canvas instead of starting completely fresh. I painted over a painting from my fall semester that I wasn't happy with, one that you see in my older blog posts of my final project( the string doll thing) yeah, I wasn't happy with that painting at all, and I really wanted to reuse that canvas. when you recycle a canvas, expecially one that was already painted with oil, you can't paint over it with gesso, or acrylic. Since those paints are water based it would simple crack and flake off. So to fix it, I painted over it with white oil paint, covering up the areas that needed it the most.

I've been drawing a lot of bird skulls lately, so I figured I would paint one on this canvas. The skull itself is placed on the left to suggest a sense of "more", if that makes sense.. It when an object is placed on the right, it generally suggest an end, we start by looking at the left, then are eyes come across to the object, and then it stops. When an object is on the left we start at this object, and then our eye is drawn to the right, and suggest endlessness.

Do you get what i'm saying? anyway.. time to draw something else.

No comments:

Post a Comment